Monday, April 19, 2021

Movie Tickets Only Used to Cost 25 Cents?

In the class session prior to this blog post, each of my peers presented a piece of technology that has had major impact on society since their initial release. There were people who presented their findings on the internet, computers, different social media sites, but the one that stood out the most to me was actually a classmate in my group. 

The first movie was actually not quiet a movie. It was a moving image that lasted only a couple seconds long. My classmate said that it was created after a bet was made. A gentlemen wanted to prove that all four hooves of a horse were off of the group at one point while the horse is running. An engineer was hired and in 1878 we determined that all four hooves of a horse are off the group while it runs. 

Movies were stored in reels and played on projectors. Images after images were placed on these reels, editing was done by literal cutting and pasting. These films did not have sound either, they were in black and white, and the sound included in the film was actually performed live by a theatre's band. In 1927, the first Talkie, or movie with dialogue, was released. It was titled The Jazz Singer. This movie featured actors actually speaking to each other.

The next significant thing to happen with Movies is the release of the 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz. This film was the first to be released in color. The first half of the movie was actually in black and white. When Dorothy wakes up after the Tornado her world is in color.

 Original Wizard Of Oz, The (1939) movie poster in C8 condition for $100.00

Regardless of all the the advancements movies had in such a short period of time relative to human history, the thing that stood out to me the most about my peers presentation was about how people actually go and see films. My classmate said that a movie ticket that gave you access to two shows and a performance would cost you only 25 cents. My mind was absolutely blown. In our actually presentation my head shot towards him speaking to the right of me.

While I understand that 25 cents was more back then than it is today, it is only 25 cents. Today if you go to the movies your tickets are anywhere from $10-$15 for a singular movie. Popcorn, a drink, and a box of candy on top of the ticket ads another $20 on top of that. After using an inflation calculator, I was able to determine that 25 cents is equivalent to about $3.30 in todays economy. Considering the comfort of movie theaters today, the quality of the screen and sound systems, and after inflation for 100 years, three shows for 25 cents is a fantastic deal. 

While the movies are a very enjoyable experience and I am satisfied with the quality product and service theaters provide, I am not happy about the evolution of the price of the experience. Today movie theaters struggle, especially since COVID, because people complain about the small fortune they must spend to use the theaters. Another reason they struggle is because streaming services make new movies available so easily from the comfort of one's home.

 I think that it would be a really good marketing move if AMC were to start selling their theaters and using that money to fund outdoor, drive-in theaters. Having an outdoor theater in every town is an attraction for everyone. It is socially distant, it can be nostalgic for some people, and it is a unique experience that gets people out of their house and competes with Netflix and other streaming services.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Am I Giving Too Much Time to My Technology?

 Undoubtably yes. Below is my screen time for this current week. Note that it is exam week and I have had 4 final papers and presentations t...